Tokyo District Court extended Ghosn’s detention by eight days after a judge refused prosecutors’ requests for the maximum 10 days, a decision that public broadcaster NHK said was rare.
It had been due to expire on Sunday but the extension gives prosecutors until 22 April to bring formal charges against the 65-year-old or set him free.
Ghosn was arrested for the fourth time last week, accused of trying to enrich himself to the tune of $5m (£3.8m) at Nissan’s expense.
He is awaiting trial on other financial misconduct and aggravated breach of trust charges. He was arrested for those in November and bailed early in March after 108 days in jail.
Ghosn denies all allegations against him and his defence team has described his latest arrest as “illegal”.
On Tuesday, his lawyers published a video on social media that he had made after his release on bail last month, in which he lashed out at ex-colleagues, accusing them of backstabbing and conspiring against him.
In the eight-minute video, he claimed some “selfish” executives had “really played a very dirty game”.
Ghosn led the Japanese automaker for two decades and was once celebrated as its saviour but he has been ousted as chairman of Nissan, Renault and Mitsubishi since his arrest.
That decision was made by thousands of shareholders at a meeting in Tokyo earlier this month, replacing Ghosn on the board with Renault chairman Jean-Dominique Senard. Renault owns 43% of Nissan.
At the meeting, Nissan chief executive Hiroto Saikawa told shareholders that the company would stick by the alliance with Renault, fix governance problems and make the ousting of Ghosn “a turning point”.
“We had allowed a system in which wrongdoing could be carried out without detection,” he said.